Sunday, March 6, 2011

I can

At school, we ask the children to tell us what they "can do" as a result of the learning that they've had in each subject. We write "I can" statements and illustrate them, so the students have a record of their learning. We encourage them to think in terms of what they can do, rather than what they can't....It's in that vein that I write the following post.

I can….what can I do? Well, in the context of what can I do as a teacher, I wanted to share a few things with you….

I can remember the names of 23 students every day, what their story is, who their parents and siblings are, what they are allergic to, and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

I can laugh when they say funny things, even if they don’t know they’re funny.

I can be stern when necessary, but not so stern as to be scary, just enough to make my point.

I can exercise patience when I need to, and move quickly when I have to.

I can share a story, read with enthusiasm, motivate, and educate.

I can play, I can make work feel like play, and I can teach kids to learn while they are playing.

I can design bulletin boards for any theme in the entire universe....seriously!

I can fix the smartboard, apply a bandage, log someone on to the computer, and type faster than their mothers!

I can feel real joy when they know a new word, and I can be proud when they do well on something that’s hard for them.

I can find things to fill their minds and thoughts so they are never bored.

I can eat in about 20 minutes, and still manage to have at least one adult conversation during that time.

I can avoid going to the bathroom until 12:55, when all my students are safely delivered to specials.

I can manage 23 students in four small groups, with just a timer and kind word.

I can pick up our class Gecko so the kids can pet his head.

I can read a book....and have the kids on the edge of their seats, waiting to hear the next word.

I can bear being called Mom, Mommy, Momma, and Grandma by my students and consider that a compliment.

I can color, I can write, I can draw, and make the kids believe it's really great stuff!

I can encourage parents, share their child's successes, and help them learn to accept failure sometimes.

I can talk to parents who don't want to listen, and help them see their children for who they really are.

I can remind others why we do this job, even when it's really hard.

I can find joy in small things, and take deep breaths when things are going wrong.

I can tie shoes, and help the kids learn to tie them too.

I can tell when someone's sick or just fakin' it.

With my smile, I can make a kid's day.

I can give and receive hugs.

I can do all this, because I am a teacher, and because teachers who can...do!

No comments:

Post a Comment