Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cutting...

Well, today has been a day of cutting, seriously...all kinds of cutting! No, I'm not talking about the self mutilation kind of cutting that some of you younger people might be familiar with. No, this is REAL cutting.

The day started with the book club and berry picking, you'll remember I mentioned earlier (that is if you read my blog periodically) that I was going out to do this. I started about 9:30, was joined by Mio, who owns the property where the berries live, and then later was joined by three more of the book club girls. I dressed appropriately, long sleeves, long pants, long socks, and washable shoes. I waded in and out of many patches of poison ivy, fearless picker that I am. I did my best not to touch my face with my right hand, because it was the uncovered, picking the berries, hand. It was hot, and humid (it is Ohio, and it is mid July), and the sun was really strong. There was a nice breeze that would surprise me occasionally by offering me a promise of coolness in my future.

We picked for about an hour and half, and then headed in to Mio's barn, where we drank iced tea and water, and changed clothes. It was then that I first learned about the cutting! You see, while I thought my clothes were protecting me, they were only fooling me into believing that I was invincible amongst the thorns! I had cuts in places I wasn't even sure were operational any more, and when water and soap were applied they started to sting! I quickly washed off, changed, and tried to stop saying "ouch, ouch ouch, ouch..." long enough to hold a decent conversation. I finished my ice water, gathered up the gallon of berries I'd picked and headed out, with a HUGE thanks and a promise to be back in a few days to pick some more.

That's when the second cut occurred...you see, I'd been hankering for a new hairdo. It happened when I saw a girl at the local greenhouse with really cute hair. It was short and kind of wispy, and was just...well....cute! If I'd have thought of it, I'd have taken her picture with my phone, but I have a hard time remembering that my phone is not "just a phone," so there was no photo. Then I scoured the internet to find a cut that was similar, and found a couple, so scheduled with my favorite hairdresser, who I'll call Lizzie. I really like Lizzie, and she always does a great job with my hair. I think she's adorable too, and have recommended that my handsome single son go get his hair cut there and ask her out...(no luck on that front yet). Anyway, when I got to the shop, I looked through one of their haircut books and found that perfect photo. I took it to Lizzy and said, that I "want it short and I want bangs..., like this." I think she was worried, but I know my mind when it comes to haircuts and I was not to be put off.

Lizzie started clipping and clipping, she did this razor thing with the scissors and used some funky scissors that had teeth in them too. She dried and styles and viola! the new cute do for me! I liked it...so then I came home and washed out the style, then re-did it myself, and you know what...???? I LOVE it! It's a cute little bob with bangs to the side, and it's versatile because my wacky curls can just be left to wonder around, or I can straighten it and go sleek.

Enter the third (and hopefully final) cut of the day. Came home, did the hair, went out to look at the garden and realized that I needed to trim the trumpet vine near the garden. It was hot, so I didn't want to mow and get really sweaty after a shower, but I thought the vine trimming would be fairly innocuous. Well, did I get that wrong! I was snipping through the vines, moving at nearly the speed of light, when I felt a pinch on my left thumb. I kept on going 'cause it didn't hurt and I wanted to finish. It wasn't until I saw blood running down my arm that I realized I might be hurt, oh, and it might be bad! I headed into the house, looking at my thumb where blood just kept pumping away, kinda like that Deep water Horizon oil spill before the cap, only decidedly more scarlet.

When I got inside I called Jazzman to assist me, and proceeded to wash the offending digit, finding out that I'd sliced through my thumb near the nail and fully into the nail bed about half way across. While it hadn't really hurt, now that the cold water and alcohol were applied, it was a different story! I couldn't get the blood to stop, so we finally applied a tight bandage. Since I still had work to finish, I put on a surgical glove and headed out to get that vine trimmed. After I was done, had dumped all the clippings in the compost bins, and was heading inside, I realized that the thumb and part of the palm of my "glove" were filled with blood.

What does that mean to me? Well, it means that I'm done for the day. No more outside work! Time to start some laundry, read the paper, and get a glass of wine. There will be no more cutting on me today, unless of course my knife slips while I chop vegetables for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Now see for me, that would mean, perhaps I should consider getting stitches....see we are just different. By the way, I think I have purslane growing in my garden, are there any dangerous mocker plants or am I good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you already resolved this one....and it wasn't bad enough for stitches...it would have hurt more to get the shot and stitches...

    ReplyDelete