Tuesday, July 20, 2010

That would be embarrassing...

Recently my daughter, who I'll call Felicity and her daughter, Peanut, came to visit us in Ohio. They live in Kansas, and had to take a flight out of the Denver airport. The flight was scheduled to come in at about midnight, so I set my phone alarm (new phone, seriously worried that it wouldn't go off) and took a pillow and blanket to the couch, so I could get some shut eye (that's what they call sleep in Kansas) before I had to drive the hour to the airport to pick them up. I was sleeping soundly when my phone "went off," but rather than it being my alarm it was my daughter, who was incredibly alarmed because her flight had been cancelled. Let's just say that Felicity doesn't handle stress well, and there are some very good reasons for this...but when she's really stressed, it's just not pretty.

Of course Felicity knew that she would have to manage this, because she had her little precious Peanut with her, and she had to keep it together. So began the next few hours of calling, checking, finding out, checking again, waiting in line (for Felicity and Peanut, not me), and more calling. Finally a new flight was booked, but no hotel vouchers given, so Felicity and Peanut were destined for a night in the airport. Now, Felicity's friend, who I'll call Boytoy, drove back to the airport, picked her and little Peanut up, and they found a hotel nearby, so they could get a little sleep. And they did get a little sleep, very little. The next morning, bright and early, they were back at the airport, but the airline, which appropriately enough starts with an F, had messed up and only transferred one ticket. Uh-oh, more line waiting, more calling, talking through things, then running (not me, Felicity and Peanut) through the airport, only to miss their flight.

Yeah, it might have been the last straw, but Felicity must have looked appropriately pathetic, so the airline personnel worked with her and got her another flight, which arrived at the "wrong" airport, but earlier than the flight that was missed. After picking the two tired girls up, we had to drive to the "other" airport to try to find their luggage, and ended up in line to make a baggage claim.

By this time the girls (and I) were tired, and we needed food. So we headed out, stopped at Dairy Queen, mostly because Peanut said she "needed" ice cream. Prior to stopping, I said that I had to go to the bathroom quite badly and if we didn't stop soon I was going to "pee my pants." To which Peanut said, "Mimi, please don't, that would be embarrassing!" And let me tell you, it was really hard not to embarrass myself after that comment.

1 comment:

  1. I totally empathize with airline troubles causing a strong need for ice cream (or booze, which is like grown-up ice cream). Glad your fam arrived safe and hope you had a wonderful visit!

    ReplyDelete